How is it that the President of one of the most powerful country in the world is able to determine what are “shithole countries” with the sweep of a wide metaphorical brush? Such dismissive statement is bringing international relations in collapse and whilst the people rebel, what other comments can be unravelling diplomacy at the hinges? This podcast, jointly hosted by Talyn Rahman-Figueroa (CEO) and Jeannette Viens (Director of Public Relations), discuss issues giving rise to hate speech and look into how people respond against divisive attitudes.
Grassroot Diplomat Talks is the monthly podcast produced by Grassroot Diplomat, discussing the practices of diplomacy and international relations in today's modern world. Further information can be found on: www.grassrootdiplomat.org
- Giving context to how such dismissive and racist comment came about
- Why President Trump and like-minded individuals think this way about particular countries and how these stereotypes are damaging to such countries
- US diplomats around the world were summoned for formal reproach, amid global shock over Trump calling African nations, Haiti and El Salvador ‘shitholes’
- Unkind, divisive, elitist --- validating and encouraging racism and xenophobia
- Diplomats are expected to remain apolitical, but with a president like this, what is a diplomat to do? Many US diplomats have simply chosen to quit rather than continue on under the Trump administration who is now working against the American values